Session 2: 3D Analysis of Shape & Function
Friday, June 20
9:00-10:30 / Coffee break - Museum visit / 11:15-12:30
- What is the interest of 3D data?
- Talk: Emerging technologies and challenges in 3D radiology specialized applications (presentation in pdf), Jean-Marc Inglese, Chief Technology Officer, Kodak Dental Systems, Marne la Vallée, France
- 3D morphometry: how to quantify the 3D shape and/or the deformations of an anatomical structure?
- Talk: 3D Computational Anatomy (presentation in pdf), Xavier Pennec, Research Director, ASCLEPIOS Project, INRIA Sophia Antipolis, France
- X. Pennec, S. Joshi (eds). "Proceedings of the Workshop on Mathematical Foundations of Computational Anatomy - Geometrical and Statistical Methods for Biological Shape Variability Modeling", Sept. 2008, New York, USA (text in pdf).
- X. Pennec, S. Joshi (eds). "Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Mathematical Foundations of Computational Anatomy - Geometrical and Statistical Methods for Modelling Biological Shape Variability", Copenhagen, Denmark, Oct. 2006 (text in pdf).
- X. Pennec. "Statistical Computing on Manifolds for Computational Anatomy". Habilitation à diriger des recherches, 2006 (text in pdf).
- Bipedy & Walking: how to model the bipedy capacity or the walking parameters from the anatomy?
- Talk: How to model the bipedy capacity of the walking parameters from the anatomy? (presentation in pdf), Franck Multon, Associate Professor, Physiology & Biomechanics Laboratory (M2S), University of Rennes 2, France (work in collaboration with Gilles Berillon, UPR2147, CNRS, Paris, France)
- G. Nicolas, F. Multon, G. Berillon, F. Marchal. "From bone to plausible bipedal locomotion using inverse kinematics". Journal of Biomechanics, 2007 (text in pdf).
- Mastication: what wan we infer on the alimentary behaviour from the shape of the mandible and teeth?
- Talk: 3D analysis of the dental wear (presentation in pdf), Ottmar Kullmer, Research Institute Senckenberg, Department of Paleoanthropology and Quaternary, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- L. Ulhaas, O. Kullmer, F. Schrenk. "Tooth wear and diversity in early hominid molars: A case study" in "Dental Perspectives on Human Evolution: State of the Art Research in Dental Paleoanthropology", 2007 (text in pdf).
- L. Ulhaas, O. Kullmer, F. Schrenk, W. Henke. "A new 3-D approach to determine functional morphology of cercopithecoid molars". Annals of Anatomy, 2004 (text in pdf).
- Cognitive abilities: what we can infer by comparing the shape of anatomical structures?
- Talk: Comparative anatomy of the parietal cortex in human and chimpanzee (presentation in pdf), Emmanuel Gilissen, Royal Museum for Central Africa, Department of African Zoology, Tervuren, Belgium / Laboratoire d'histologie générale, de neuroanatomie et de neuropathologie, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
- E. Gilissen. "Scaling patterns of interhemispheric connectivity in eutherian mammals". Behavioral and Brain Science, 2006.
- E. Gilissen. "Structural symmetries and asymmetries in human and chimpanzee brains". In "Evolutionary Anatomy of the Primate Cerebral Cortex", D. Falk & K.R. Gibson (eds.), Cambridge University Press, 2001.
The session will be ended by a round-table where discussion between the all the participants will be encouraged.