Getting started with Cogui (version 1.0)
In this page we will give a brief introdution into using the CoGui tool. Throughout the document we will use the example "childhood" detailed in the examples section. Please note that this document is intended as a quick overview of the CoGui tool. For further, more in depth explanations, please see the CoGui user guide. For Conceptual Graphs related information please check the Conceptual Graph page.
- Go to the homepage of Cogui .
- Go to the examples homepage.
- Save the example childhood.cogxml
- Go to the download page of CoGui and click on launch.
- The application will launch itself and you will be able to
- You should be able to see the CoGui application like
below, fully functionable.
- Click on open and select the file you just have
- childhood.cogxml is now loaded and you can browse
project to get an idea of what sort of funtionality is provided.
- By clicking on types, individuals and then on the vertical
concept types you can visualise the concept types in the domain. Please
note that by selecting the right zoom value you can navigate throughout
the whole hierarchy accordingly.
- By clicking on the vertical tab relation type in the
types, you can visualise the relation hierarchy. Please note
that Conceptual Graphs allow also n-ary relations, not only unary and
- By clicking on the individuals vertical tab you can see
the indivuduals in the domain.
- Rules are also visually represented as in the figure
visual depiction of the rule makes it particularily useful when
modelling complex domains.
- If needed all the windows described above can be visualised
maximising them in the top right hand corner. To go back to the
previous display click restore.
- A set of facts are preloaded in the example. To visualise
them simply go back to the project tab on the right of the screen.
- One example of a fact is shown in the image below.
- At any stage in your building the knowledge base you can
control button to verify if your current piece of knowledge is
- The graphs can be rearranged dynamically by pressing the
arrange graph button on the top of the display window.
- To make a query go back to the facts in the project tab
and press on query facts.
- You can now start writing your query by adding concepts and
- To specialise a node right click on the node and choose
the desired concept type.
- To link a relation node and a concept node point the mouse
inside of the relation node until the pointer transforms into a hand
and drag and drop onto the required concept node. Once satisfied with
your query press next.
- Select the fact and the rules you want to be included by
the reasoning engine and click next.
- The results will show up and you can click on each of them
individually to visualise your query (in black).